Don’t let the excitement of spring break fun keep you from considering home safety while you’re away. Leave your worries behind and secure your house before you begin packing. There are a lot of defenses you can put in place to scare off possible intruders while you’re off on vacation.
You may consider putting some protections in place to give your home that “lived-in” look. Here are 5 ways you can avoid a Spring Break break-in.
1. Securing Your Home
You would love to make your home safe, both the outside and inside, whenever you go out on a trip. You want to make an illusion of being home. You may do this by:
- Advertising your alarm monitoring service with a sticker in your front window or even a sign on your lawn
- Installing surveillance cameras on the outside of your house
- Removing hidden house keys outside your house
- Locking up valuables like cash and jewelry, as well as important paperwork in a fire-proof safe
- Putting your newspaper and mail delivery on hold and having a neighbor handle your trash cans on collection day
- Alerting your monitoring service provider, All Systems Integrated, regarding your vacation plans and to ensure your contact list is up-to-date.
2. Monitoring from Afar
Today’s smart technology allows you to keep tabs on your property and also have peace of mind whenever you aren’t there. You can strategically watch and record the goings-on in your home from any device by placing cameras around your property. Through live audio and video streaming, you are able to tell whether there’s a package left on your front porch, a door propped open, or an intruder within your house.
Another way to check your home security is by installing a vast assortment of sensors that are triggered when there is:
- A trespasser
- Extreme heat
- Freezing pipes
- Indoor flooding
- Open door or window
You might also transform your smartphone into a remote surveillance camera by utilizing smart notifications within our application, which can alert you to any issues based on your custom settings.
3. Finding Care for Your Pets
In case your spring break plans don’t include bringing your pets along, you might wish to consider care for them. Even if you’re only gone for 1 or 2 days, a dog left home alone may start barking non-stop, which isn’t just a nuisance for local neighbors, but additionally a warning call to possible intruders that no one is home. To keep your home a little safer this spring break, consider one of these options:
- Boarding in a Kennel: Ask family, friends, and your veterinarian, or dog daycare for a kennel. This is great if you don’t even know anyone who will watch your pet while you’re away.
- Using a Pet Sitter: You are able to have a pet sitter who either stays in your home while you’re gone or conveniently stops a few times each day for feeding and taking walks. Using a smart lock and custom user code is a great way to not only allow your pet sitter to come and go as needed, but also give you notifications and control over when they do access your home.
4. Keeping Your Vacation Plans Off-Line
We know how exciting it is to tell your friends and followers on social networks about your upcoming vacation plans. Still, it’s best to maintain those plans off the web till you return as a way of keeping yourself, your family, and your home safe. You may always later email or text pictures along with other details about your trip to your family members and friends.
5. Use Common Sense
As you go through your check list right before you leave, keep these tasks in mind:
- Unplug electronics and some other unused appliances
- Close curtains and blinds
- Set your interior and porch lights on a timer to go on throughout the time you’d typically be home
- Inform your close neighbors that you’ll be gone so that they can keep an eye on your house.
You can never be too secure with regards to keeping your home and family protected. Having these tips in mind before you go on spring break will create a more enjoyable and relaxing vacation for everybody.
Contact us for more helpful home security tips. If you’re looking to upgrade your security system before your next big trip, get in touch today and we’ll be more than happy to answer your questions and provide you with a complimentary quote