If you feel like you frequently worry about your home’s security, you’re not alone.
According to a survey by Alarm.com sampling 10,000 US homeowners, two-thirds state they worry about home security and crime at least once a month. On top of that, 42% stated they experience these worries at least once a week or more, with 16% saying they worry about home security every day.
This study has provided us with five key insights. These are the main discoveries made by Alarm.com’s Home Security Survey:
1. Home security routines are different for everybody
People focus on different things when it comes to securing their home. While it is not surprising most homeowners check their door and window locks before bedtime, many still go further by closing curtains and turning on lights at night.
Q: “Which actions do you take as part of a daily home security routine?”
- 52% of homeowners check that their doors and windows are locked at bedtime.
- 39% make sure that their drapes or blinds are closed at night.
- 35% leave outdoor lights on at night.
- 22% leave indoor lights on at night.
- 24% check inside their closet before going to bed.
- 18% still check under the bed.
Automated technology can help this nightly routine go a little faster. You can easily confirm all doors and windows are closed from a mobile app. An easy to use Scene command can perform all these nighttime rituals from just the touch of a button.
2. Mistakes are easy to make
In all our busy schedules, many of us have open forgotten to arm the security system or close the garage on our way out the door.
Q: “Which of these security mistakes have you made in the last 12 months?”
- 35% of homeowners have left doors open or unlocked.
- 29% have left windows open or unlocked.
- 29% have left the garage open.
- 25% have forgotten to turn their alarm on.
- 20% have lost their door keys.
Geo services are a handy way of making sure your house security system is armed. Automated locks let you know they’re open with a simple notification on your phone and use just the touch of a button to close them.
3. It’s difficult to leave security worries at home
Have you ever driven halfway to work, only to get the sinking feeling that you didn’t lock the door? This data shows when people are mostly likely to worry about their home.
Q: “When are you likely to worry more about home security?”
- 50% of homeowners worry more when they travel.
- 31% worry more when they’re home alone.
- 31% worry more when family members are home alone.
- 31% worry more when they leave home for work.
When it comes to easing security concerns, using a home security system that’s connected to you provides the best benefits. Remote arming and disarming, activity notifications and smart video alerts are becoming a must-have for homeowners who want that peace of mind, no matter where they are.
4. Bumps in the night affect us all
Waking up to a sudden noise in the middle of the night can be startling. Parents seem to be the most affected by this with an average of 6 events recorded per year, while seniors are affected the least with and average 1.3 events per year.
Q: “How do you react when you hear a bump in the night?”
- 44% have quietly snuck out of bed to investigate.
- 41% have grabbed an object and gone to confront the perceived intruder.
- 33% have made a noise to scare off anyone who may be there.
- 23% have sent their partner to investigate.
A 24/7 monitoring service provides around-the-clock protection. In the event of a break-in, fire or other emergencies, a security professional can directly connect you to police or fire department at your discretion.
5. Home security worries can be helped
Smart home technology is the cutting edge of protecting your home and keeping your peace of mind. Homeowners who responded “very confident” about their security were most likely to own a security system with a mobile app.
“Protecting our homes and families is a task that we never fully switch off from,” says Anne Ferguson, vice-president of marketing at Alarm.com. “From bumps in the night to the nagging concern that you forgot to lock up when you left home, worries about safety and security are a fact of modern life, especially for constantly on-the-go families. The good news is that new technology makes home security worries easy to mitigate and manage.”
Help your friends and family with security worries
All Systems Integrated is proud to partner with Alarm.com with the best smart home security available today. We provide professional installations, comprehensive tutorials, and quality devices that will help you keep a better eye on your home.
Get started with upgrading your home’s security today. Give our office a call at (253) 770-5570 or email us for a free estimate on making your home security work better for you.